Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book Update: Building Momentum

Just like you, I can’t wait for the updates to end and for the book to actually get released.  The publishing industry works in strange and mysterious ways, not always wonderful but often unknowable.

Of course, this sounds more exotic and pleasant than my actual experiences.  Nonetheless, there’s been great progress and the project is moving forward.

I now have the fully formatted electronic proof of the manuscript and I’m proofreading it right now with the additional assistance of my editors.  The editors have also completed the foreword and it’s being incorporated into the manuscript right now.

(Here it comes…)  I’m hoping that the final revisions will be implemented over the next week and the manuscript will get uploaded to the printing house shortly thereafter.  I’m also hoping that the eBook formatting will be completed and uploaded in time to release it on or before April 5.  (I really hope I don’t regret making yet another prediction about the book’s release!)

The audio book version should release about four weeks after the eBook release, and the paperback version should release within a couple of weeks afterward.  Hang in there with me!

My friends see my frustration about the release dates and remind me that some of the paradoxes I slay in the book have stood for millennia, so what could a few weeks possibly matter in the scheme of things?  I understand the argument on an intellectual level, but it does awfully little to alter the frustration levels of my emotional and psychological selves!  When I hear this, my intellect sits there calmly saying, “Yes, I suppose you are completely correct,” while my emotional and psychological selves are yelping frantically like little poodles and terriers at an approaching intruder.

It’s often said that we learn a great deal about patience in raising our children.  Well, that seems true enough in my experience but I’m learning many more and new lessons about patience in publishing my book!  I’ve spent 34 years nurturing this book and I want to birth it already!  Not in weeks, but NOW!

I’ll provide the next update on the book next week.  We’ll see whether my predictions are close to the mark…

No comments:

Post a Comment